How to boost your immune system naturally
This time can seem scary. Unknown. Anxiety driven. We’re feeling it too. Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s more important than ever to continue to keep your body and mind healthy. Be aware of what you’re feeding your body and notice how your mind is adjusting to the shift in your daily activities.
These small actions can have a huge impact on your immune system. It won’t be easy, or even possible, to do all of the suggestions listed below. Do what you can and what feels right for you and your family at this time.
Take Care of Yourself
Keeping your immune system in check is especially important right now.
- Wash your hands frequently, especially after being outside, for at least 20 seconds.
- Disinfect your phone daily (at least!) with an alcohol solution.
- Make sleep a priority and get a good night’s rest.
- Stick to social distancing practices (at least two meters apart from other people but ideally, not leaving your house unless absolutely necessary).
Rinse your throat and nose with a saline solution daily to rid of germs. To make:
- Put one cup of water and ½ teaspoon of salt into a pot and boil for 15 minutes.
- Set the pot aside until cooled to room temperature.
- Carefully pour this saline into a bottle or jar for storing.
Our body needs nutrients to keep it working its best. While it might be easy to let go of some of your food routine when your day to day routine has suddenly shifted, now is actually the best time to keep your good food habits going.
- Reduce your alcohol consumption.
- Eat citrus fruits, like oranges, for a source of Vitamin C.
- Drink plenty of liquids, especially warm liquids like ginger and lemon tea.
- Veer away from snack foods and stick to a well balanced diet of vegetables, fruits, and nuts.
- Eat lots of fresh garlic and ginger to boost your immune system.
- If certain foods or sunshine isn’t available to you right now, take supplements like Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Zinc, and Selenium.
Stay Physically Active
Moving the body activates your lymphatic drainage, which helps flush out toxins in the body. So shake that booty!
- Do a yoga class in your living room.
- Encourage your friends to join you in a virtual one-minute plank every hour during the day.
- Switch up your morning routine and set aside time for some push ups and squats before coffee.
- Go for a run. Choose a trail or a path that’s not very crowded.
Reduce Your Stress and Practice Mindfulness
What is your mind asking for right now? What would feed your soul? Stress and anxiety can deteriorate our immune system, so it’s important to implement mindful practices that work for you.
- Get some sun on your face with a short walk or a sit on your patio.
- Take breaks from the news and social media. Take that time to meditate or journal instead.
- Breathe in essential oils. Psst. Nala’s Essence of Rosewood deodorant has soothing copaiba oil, and our Detox deodorant has calming Lavender oil.
- Listen to your favourite playlist or podcast. There’s seriously nothing better than a living room dance party. Even if it’s a solo one.
- Read that book that’s been sitting on your nightstand, waiting to be cracked open.
- Have a group video chat with your family or friends and laugh! Laughing is so important for the immune system, and who better to make you laugh than your quirky family. If additional family time is not your jam right now, explore options for virtual dance parties online.
This is an opportunity for us collectively to heal and come together. Now is the time to level up your self care, especially when fear feels so pervasive.
We’re all connected right now, even if not physically together. You’re not alone.